7/8/11

My First Garden

My husband and I rent a house on about a half acre-sized bit of land. It gets lots of sunlight in the summer and this year we finally got it together and built some garden boxes. We used the knowledge from www.squarefootgardening.org and in May built three square foot gardens. I couldn't afford vermiculite, so I used a mixture of top soil, peat moss and horse compost.

I planted beets, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, chives, basil, radicchio, radish, lettuce, mesclun, cilantro, kale and Swiss chard. Not everything was successful, but the things that are growing are starting to be edible. I made a small salad this evening.

Here are some photos of my first garden:

My biggest cauliflower

Little lettuces

Radishes have grown the best so far

My tiny salad!

Broccoli just starting

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...