2/17/14

Creamy Crock Pot Chicken

My son and I both had the day off (thanks Abe and George!) and by 1:30 p.m. I realized I hadn't taken any meat out of the freezer for dinner.
I've seen slow cooker recipes where you put frozen chicken right in with a bunch of other "cream of" somethings and cook the hell out of it and get some sort of slop. Yes, I wanted to make that, mainly because I didn't plan anything for dinner and I was way too lazy and tired to go to the store.
What I ended up with was just what most people describe on their "crock pot chicken" Pinterest posts -- easy, creamy and delicious!
The secret to my dinner's success was the homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup that I concocted because I didn't have a can of it in my pantry. I followed this basic recipe from Pinch Of Yum, but sautéed 2 cups of sliced baby portobello mushrooms and 1/2 an onion, finely chopped, with half a stick of butter before adding the stock and milk. I also added smoked paprika, thyme and oregano to the recipe. It yielded quite a bit of thick soup and was perfect for my crock pot concoction, which was loosely based on this recipe from Coersfamily.com.
Creamy Crock Pot Chicken | Alaska Knit Nat
Creamy Crock Pot Chicken
Serves about 4
What you'll need:
2-4 pieces frozen chicken (I used skinless thighs)
1.5 cups condensed cream of mushroom soup (or one can of the store bought stuff)
1 brick of cream cheese (I used neufchâtel)
1 bay leaf
1-2 potatoes, quartered
2 carrots, cut into large chunks
1 celery rib, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup dry egg noodles
1/2 cup chicken stock
Directions:
Place your frozen chicken pieces in the slow cooker and surround it with the carrots, potatoes, celery and bay leaf. Pour over the cream of mushroom soup. Break up the cream cheese and add it to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. After a few hours, stir it and break up the chicken if you can.
Forty-five minutes before serving stir in the peas and egg noodles, making sure to coat them thoroughly. If it's already looking a bit thick, add 1/2 cup chicken stock. Cover and cook on high.
Remove bay leaf and roughly cut up carrots and potatoes before serving.
Savor the fact that your entire family should adore this meal that took little effort and zero defrosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...