11/14/13

Ice Cream Sundae Hat -- Free Pattern

During my bedtime Pinterest bingeing (I like to call it "pingeing") I came across a lovely knitted hat from http://muitaihania.blogspot.dk/.

I don't know Finnish, but I'm pretty sure the blogger didn't post a pattern for it. *Correction: After 30 seconds of browsing the site, I did find the pattern. Oh well!

So here's my version. It's called the Ice Cream Sundae Hat and it's lovely. I made it up as I went along and the pattern is simple enough that I don't think I need to provide a chart as long as you follow the instructions.



Materials:
3 colors of bulky yarn such as Lamb's Pride Bulky, (Color A, Color B, and Color C)
Size 9 circular needles
Size 9 double-pointed needles
darning needle
pom-pom maker or giant fork

Abbreviations:
K = knit
P = purl
k2tog = Knit two stitches together



Special notes: You'll be knitting a basic fair isle pattern, so carry the unworked yarn across the back of the stitches you're working, being VERY CAREFUL not to pull the unworked yarn too tightly. Your hat will shrink significantly in diameter if you don't pay attention to the unworked yarn. I intentionally made my pattern bigger than my normal hats to account for my habit of pulling too tightly.

On your circular needle, cast on 80 stitches with Color A. Place marker on needle. Knit into the first stitch, being careful the stitches aren't twisted. K2, P2 for five rounds. Knit 3 rounds regularly. 

Round 9: With Color A, Knit 3 stitches. *With Color B, knit 4 stitches. With Color A, knit 6 stitches.* Repeat ** till end of round (you'll end by knitting 3 stitches with color A).
Round 10: With Color A, Knit 2 stitches. *With Color B, knit 6 stitches. With Color A, knit 4 stitches.* Repeat ** till end of round, ending with 2 stitches of Color A.
Round 11: With Color A, Knit 1 stitch. *With Color B, knit 8 stitches. With Color A, knit 2 stitches.* Repeat ** till end of round, ending with 1 stitch of Color A.
Rounds 12 & 13: With Color A, knit 1 stitch. *With Color B, knit 9 stitches. With Color A, knit 1 stitch.* Repeat ** till end of round. Cut Color A leaving a six-inch tail.
Knit 5 rounds with Color B.
Repeat rounds 9-13 with Colors B & C.
Knit 6 rounds with Color C.

Decrease as follows:
Round 1: Knit two together, knit 6. Repeat for one round.
Round 2 (and all even rounds): Knit
Round 3: K2tog, K 5 for one round
Round 5: K2tog, K 4 for one round (this is where you should probably switch to the double points).
Round 7: K2tog, K 3
Round 9: K2tog, K 2
Round 11: K2tog, K 1
Round 12: K2tog
Cut yarn leaving a 12-inch tail. Gather remaining stitches with a darning needle and fasten off. Weave in all tails.

For the pom pom:
I recommend a pom pom maker, which you can buy for about $6 at any big-box crafts store. Another super technique I found on Pinterest, where you use a serving fork. It's pretty great if you're feeling lazy.

Secure your pom pom to the hat using yarn and a darning needle. Run the yarn through the pom pom a couple of times and tie on the inside of the hat. I always try and leave a little length in case the pom pom loosens so I can easily refasten it.



Thanks again to Muita Ihania for the pretty design. 

Please contact me if there are any errors in the pattern. I've already given the hat away so I wasn't able to look at it as I was writing the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...