10/19/11

Crock Pot BBQ Chicken on Homemade Buns

In one of Stephen's many lunchtime thrift store pursuits, he acquired me a Crock Pot. This appliance has never existed in my home nor in my parents' home. It is a foreign object to me. It sat in the cupboard for about two months before I finally decided to do something with it.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the most boring cut of meat. I don't like cooking them because usually I create boring meals.

So I made pulled chicken sandwiches. I let the chicken cook alllllll day and shredded it up and cooked it for even longer. It turned out pretty well, except my homemade BBQ sauce tasted like sweet mutant tomato paste, so I cheated and added some Sweet Baby Ray's and liquid smoke and everything balanced out.



The buns were a little dense, but I think it's because the recipe I used called for instant rise yeast and I only had regular yeast so I should have proofed it. I am not including the recipe for the buns because I only did a Google search and picked the first recipe I found. I'd try a different one next time. I just really didn't feel like going to the store just for hamburger buns.

Ingredients:
3-4 chicken breasts, mostly thawed
1 tiny can of tomato paste
2/3 of the tiny can of water
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
some dried basil
some dried thyme
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 tsp. liquid smoke

Directions:
Place the chicken on the bottom of the crock pot. Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl and add to the crock pot. Set crock pot to low for four or five hours. Shred up the chicken with a fork and cook another two hours.  Scoop on to a bun and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...