4/14/12

I tried it -- homemade almond milk

I've never been a huge fan of almond milk, or rather, you wouldn't ever see it in my shopping cart, but that's not to say it isn't tasty. When I saw a super easy recipe on Pinterest for homemade almond milk, I figured I might as well give it a go.

It was pretty simple: soak 1 cup of raw almonds in water for 8 hours. Drain the water, fill a blender with four cups water, add the almonds and blend for a few minutes. Then strain the liquid through a cotton kitchen towel, being sure to save the almond meal for later.






It turned out really tasty. I added a little honey to sweeten the flavor. It made about a quart of milk.

But then I realized it was totally not cost efficient. I mean, up here in Alaska, raw almonds are $10 a pound I used about 1/2 pound. Five dollars for a quart of almond milk -- I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to buy it already made.

I guess if I wanted to make it in the future, I'd have to check out if Costco has raw almonds or if I can buy them online for cheaper. I read in one recipe that Trader Joe's sells 4 cups of almonds for $10. Blasted Trader Joe's -- when will you come up to AK?!

*Update! I just discovered my local Safeway is a total rip off! Fred Meyer had raw almonds for $5 a pound! I'm trying this project again since $2.50 is much more affordable for a quart.

On the plus side, I kept the ground up almonds and roasted them for a while in a 250-degree oven till they were dried out. I used them in my oatmeal the next morning and in my mini meatloaves instead of breadcrumbs. Totally useful stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...