4/14/12

I tried it -- homemade yogurt

It's been a busy couple of weeks. I installed a kitchen sprayer on the toilet for our future cloth diaper cleaning, made some prefolds out of old t-shirts, made some grocery bags out of t-shirts, made meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato frosting, did a couple of more sewing and cooking projects and for this post I decided to try out making my own greek yogurt.

I found a reasonably easy recipe on the interwebs here and decided it was totally worth doing, especially since my husband bought two gallons of 1% milk at Costco for no reason other than he was craving cereal and thought we could consume all of it between the two of us in a week.



I love that I made this in my crock pot. Everything was super easy, including clean up! Since all crock pots aren't alike, I had to heat the milk for quite a bit longer to get it to 180 degrees. I got it up to 177 and called it good.

After cooling the milk to 105 degrees, adding the 1/2 cup of store bought yogurt I just wrapped the whole crock pot in a towel and stuck it in the oven for eight hours (with the oven OFF!)

My yogurt, after straining, was silky and flavorful. I liked it better than store bought because it wasn't sour or bitter tasting, but that could be that I added honey as the recipe called for (although I didn't measure).

Anyway, I will totally make this again in the future especially if I need to use up 1/2 gallon of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...