7/14/13

Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade

Mid summer in Alaska means you and your neighbors probably have rhubarb coming out your ears. I never know what to do with rhubarb other than make a pie or crumble, which I don't actually love. Yesterday my friend brought over some rhubarb syrup and I suddenly had a delicious idea.  I'd been wondering what to do with the wild strawberries I picked earlier this weekend and again wasn't into the pie or crumble idea.

Strawberry rhubarb lemonade was born!


It's tangy, sweet and perfect for a sunny day.

Here's what you'll need:

  • 12 oz. chopped rhubarb (by weight)
  • about 1.5 cups water
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 thingie of frozen lemonade, pink or regular, prepared according to package instructions
  • fresh, ripe strawberries
  • lemon slices for garnish



So I actually started this recipe by squeezing my own lemons, but after about three lemons and only a half a cup of lemon juice, I remembered I had some frozen lemonade so I went that route (still using the lemon juice I already squeezed).

To make the rhubarb syrup, place the chopped rhubarb in a small saucepan and fill the pan with water till rhubarb is just covered. Add the baking soda and sugar and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Let cool and pour through a strainer, pushing on the rhubarb with a spoon to get all the liquid out. This stuff should store in a jar for about a week or so in the fridge.

Place a few strawberries in a glass and muddle them with the back of a wooden spoon. Add ice and pour 2/3 up with lemonade. Top off with rhubarb syrup. Add lemon slice for garnish.

If you wanted this drink to be fizzy, you could add some sprite to the mix. It's delightful!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...