4/22/11

I love my mama

My mama turned 60 this week. It's hard for me to fully understand this as she's got the spirit of a 20-year-old. She went salsa dancing twice this week and she always makes room for yoga and aerobics (she did, after all, found the aerobics association here in Anchorage in the mid-80s.) She plans on staring up pilates  soon too.

But that's not why I love my mother. She is an exceptional person. Always level-headed. Makes practical choices. She's an incredible quilter and sewer. She gives everything her best.

When I was a teenager, I didn't understand why other girls my age were mortified of being seen with their mothers. My mom was my best friend and my confidante. Sure, she was silly, but that never embarrassed me. I was proud to have such an awesome mom.

As a young woman, she didn't always make the best life choices, but it was those stories of her past that helped shape my future. Her wisdom helped me with some of my toughest decisions. She's the one who solidified my philosophy of life: There's no such thing as a mistake. There are choices you make in life and the best thing you can do is learn from those choices in order to live happily.

Her 60th birthday hasn't fazed her much at all. In fact, it's made her more motivated to live life to its fullest.

So happy birthday mama. I love you.

-Ta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...